Cockatiels are the pet birds with a unique personality, so it requires appropriate socialization and taming. Let’s figure out some ways to tame a cockatiel.
Cockatiels are very popular bird pets because they are great fun with playing, petting, and dancing to music. That’s why people love to train them.It is easier to tame young birds as they are willing to learn new things and you don’ t have to change bad habits that have been built in old birds.
On the other hand, this task can be difficult for some new bird trainers. There is a lot of advice for them like knowing how young your bird is and its previous living home. These can help you to apply and improve taming methods in each situation much better. The older the bird gets, the harder and longer to tame it. And understanding its previous living environment can stop some old habits in the new home. So let’s get closer to the essential training steps.
How to Tame a Cockatiel?
The cockatiel taming process requires a lot of patience and proper strategies. It is very important to build a firm relationship with new cockatiels first. Then slowly start the process in short sessions separately and in quiet places. Gently repeating is important and a timely treat can be really helpful.
Making a cockatiel get accustomed to a new living environment
After having a cockatiel, it is recommended to wait a few weeks before beginning the taming process. Spend a quiet and calm place for the bird. This time will help the bird get familiar with the new home.
Become a friend of your bird first. You must get close to the bird before being able to train it. Spend time talking to the bird about anything you want in a soft voice. Try not to speak loudly or change your volume suddenly because the bird can get unsecured and scared.
While talking, adjust your height to make yourself equal to the cockatiel’s eyes. If you are taller than its cage, lower yourself down. This really makes sense when putting yourself in a less threatening position.
This process can last for a few days before the bird gets used to your voice and can move forward when you talk to it. After this, you can slowly begin the training.
Teach the bird to step up
After around one month, when the bird seems to be comfortable around you, you can let it go out of its cage, make sure to close all windows and doors.
You should hold your hand in the same position until the cockatiel feels comfortable to approach you and eat from your hand. Then, you can extend two fingers horizontally and repeat that again and again until your bird lets you touch its feet. Slightly push its lower chest with your fingers and knock it off balance. By doing this, you will encourage the bird to step on your finger. At the same time, don’t forget to say a short command like “ step up” or “ up”.
Teach the cockatiels how to talk
Again, do this training while the cockatiel is relaxed and happy. What you should do is to repeat a phrase some times and try to make an animated facial expression and tone. Look at your bird’s reactions, if it gets interested in a word, it will cock its head or dilate its pupils. Then you know you should teach it that work. Reward it with a treat when it mimics you.
Encourage the cockatiel to whistle and dance
You can also certainly create a habit of whistling and dancing for your bird. While playing with your bird, bob your head and rock your finger back and forth to music opening with a steady beat. This makes your bird get familiar with the beat and try to start rocking back and forth as well. Gradually, it can sway more actively and even raise its wings also. At the same time, whistling beside the birds frequently will encourage it to make the same sound in its own way.
Some tips while taming a cockatiel
- A treat like a spray of millet is a common method while training a cockatiel. But you could give your bird any of their favorite food to encourage it to obey your commands.
- You can take it through the bars of the cage, and the bird will voluntarily make its way toward you. What you do is to keep it steady when the cockatiel pecks one or two times, or up to 5 seconds as it makes very good performances.
- Just bear in mind to give the spray of millet or other foods for the cockatiel as a treat. This avoids the case your bird will become less encouraged for training when it can eat their favorite food without doing the training tasks.
- While you should spend time everyday on training the cockatiels, you should not make your bird work out more than 15 minutes each session.
- Take time to talk to your bird, keep your hand near it, and give it a treat for its calm down attitude. Remember to make the bird move closer to your hand before it can take the treat.
- Don’t make your bird too tired, you should not train the bird continuously over 15 minutes each session and 2 sessions a day. That allows your bird to eat and take rest in its cage.
Cockatiels are social bird pets, so with proper socialization and training, they can be affectionate with humans. It can be very challenging to tame a cockatiel, but you can make this process easier by applying appropriate strategies. On the other hand, you can help your cockatiel smarter and build a firm bonding and long-lasting close companionship with your bird.
Leave a Reply